Q. What can I do to cut down on indoor air pollution?
- If you live in an older house, make sure your home is free of asbestos and lead paint, especially when remodeling.
- Choose personal hygiene and cleaning products that do not introduce harmful toxins into your home.
- Avoid using pesticides indoors.
- Watch for moisture in areas like your basement. Carpets, curtains or towels should not be left wet.
- Choose an air filter with an appropriate MERV rating and change it regularly.
- Smoke outdoors instead of inside your home.
- Check that your gas-powered heaters are functioning correctly and ensure that the flame is blue.
- Clean your chimney annually.
- Use a HEPA filter in your vacuum cleaner.
- Grill outside only —not inside your garage or home.
- While your car is running, do NOT close your garage door.